Friday 2 December 2016

Beyond this Facade - Lies a Garden Guest House

Stockbridge home

Beyond the facade of this Stockbridge townhouse, lies a charming, garden, guest cottage, I currently have an obsession with garden buildings after completing a garden studio of my own. Whether it's a guest cottage, an artist retreat, pool shed or "she/he shed" scenario, I believe everyone can benefit of such a space.


The guest cottage's interior is designed by Stephenie Dunning, Stephanie's portfolio "ranges from UK country homes and houses in central London, a villa on Lake Como and a fabulous home in Mustique". Stephanie's background reflects a well travelled designer who draws inspiration from her travels for her lovely designs. With regards to the pool/guest cottage in the grounds of this home, Stephanie has pared back the style of the main house, for a more relaxed, cottage atmosphere.

Stockbridge home
Every home, should have a relaxing patio no matter how large or small it is. When I lived in Qatar I had the tiniest balcony (only 3 tiles wide) but I managed to squeeze in a small round table, two chairs and some potted plants.  I love how Stephanie has used a blend of materials on the patio, rattan chairs work with a  concrete table and a planter of Lavender softens the look
Stockbridge home
The ship lap walls are painted soft grey/green, however the beams have been left unpainted drawing the eye upwards to this architectural detail 
Stockbridge home
Pastel colours keep the room light and relaxed
Stockbridge home
A guest house/pool house should be a space you can retire to year round so don't forget appropriate heating. This cute stove is both practical, space saving and I think it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye
Stockbridge home
A small cottage demands a small kitchen, there is no need to go 'high tech' in a guest house when it comes to this area. Save space and choose a compact kitchen with a little bench space, some drawers and a cupboard for storage. I feel a sink is a necessity but when it comes to cooking, most guests would eat out or in the main house so a microwave or table top oven is probably all that is required
Stockbridge home
The bathroom is kept minimal, a row of towel hooks complete the look
Stockbridge home
Large windows allow light to flood into the small cottage. It is important in a small space that you allow plenty of light but make sure when planning that your windows relate to the use of your space
Stockbridge home
A garden building should be integrated and connected to the main house, here a pathway and bordering gardens settle this cottage into its surroundings


I am excited that I will soon be sharing my garden studio with you, albeit not as large as this guest house, however it is more than a studio to me, it is a place I can be away from the main house and in my own little world. The studio itself is almost finished apart from hardwood flooring, however it has meant a total makeover of the garden plus painting the deck, so it will probably be after Christmas that I share it with you as these jobs are all works in progress.

Do you have a space of your own, a garden studio, guest cottage or a shed you have converted, if you do, I would love to share it with my readers. If you are looking for ideas, you may enjoy a previous post on A garden potting shed, which is far more than you may envisage. There is also another post on a garden retreat with a Scandi feel you may enjoy.


Wherever you are in the world, have a great weekend



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your time to leave a comment, I ♥ to read your comments and try to reply to them all.